APRIL IS NATIONAL PECAN MONTH
Pecans are designated as a heart-healthy food choice by the American Heart Association. Unroasted and unsalted pecan halves are the best choice for snacking and for use in recipes. A one ounce serving of 15-20 pecan halves packs a nutritious punch and contains 196 calories, other benefits of pecans include:
- Pecans contain more antioxidants than any other nut variety
- Pecans can help reduce the risk of heart disease and lower cholesterol levels
- Pecans contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals
- Pecans are a natural, high-quality source of protein
- One ounce of pecans provides 10% of the recommended Daily Value for fiber
Stop by Anytime Fitness in Albany, OR on 4/24/17 & 4/25/17 between 5-7pm to try this recipe and say HI in person!
RAW PECAN BITES RECIPE
12 DATES, PITTED AND SOAKED IF DRY
1 1/4 cup PECANS, CHOPPED
1/4 cup UNSWEETENED SHREDDED COCONUT
1/4 tsp SEA SALT
1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
1/4 tsp CINNAMON
1/4 tsp GROUND NUTMEG
1/4 tsp GROUND CLOVE
WATER (if needed, but blend lots first)
1. DUMP THE PECANS INTO A HIGH-SPEED BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR AND BLEND UNTIL ALMOST A POWDER, RESERVING 1/4 CUP. CHOP OF THE 1/4 CUP A BIT MORE AND SET ASIDE.
2. ADD THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS, AND BLEND REALLY WELL (LONGER THAN YOU THINK!) ADD WATER 1 TB AT A TIME IF NEEDED.
3. BLEND AGAIN, UNTIL THE MIXTURE COMES TOGETHER INTO A DOUGH LIKE FORM. YOU MAY NEED TO SCRAP DOWN THE SIDES AND BLEND A FEW TIMES.
4. LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH PARCHMENT PAPER AND PRESS DOWN THE DOUGH INTO A RECTANGLE SHAPE, USING A GLASS TO SMOOTH THE TOP AND PRESS OUT TO ABOUT 1/2 INCH THICKNESS. TAKE THE RESERVED 1/4 CUP PECANS AND PRESS EVENLY INTO THE TOP OF THE DOUGH. POP INTO THE FREEZER FOR 30 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM FREEZER AND CUT INTO 21 EQUALLY SIZED BITES.
5. STORE IN THE FREEZER FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS IN A TIGHTLY SEALED CONTAINER. A SERVING IS 3 BITES.
Nutrition: 3g protein, 15g carbs, 16g carbs, 4g fiber
Want more recipes like these?
Check out the 28-Day Clean Eating Program: