WHY COFFEE SHOP MUFFINS ARE MAKING YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT
The average blueberry muffin is a far cry from what you’d call a health food! It’s got almost 470 calories (to be clear, that’s nearly double what you’d get from a chocolate frosted donut) and most of those calories come from processed carbohydrates- primarily white flour and refined sugar. These two staple ingredients in the average American’s diet, along with processed vegetable oil, are one of the main reasons that many women today are gaining weight, having low energy daily, and finding that their hormones are way out of balance.
So, what can you do? The answer is simple, cook more of your meals and snacks at home! So why not make some muffins at home and take them with you. I know what you’re saying right now- that you don’t have the time…. but if you don’t make the time for YOU and YOUR health NOW you will continue to have low energy, gain fat and feel like shit daily. THE TIME IS NOW!
Here’s a fun, simple and delicious recipe for you to try. It is also gluten free dairy free, soy free and paleo. You can even make these in advance and store them in the freezer for up to two months or in the fridge for 5 days!
Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)
• 2 cups Almond Flour
• 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
• 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
• 3 Egg
• 1 Banana (1/2 cup, mashed)
• 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
• 1 cup Blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (177ºC). Line a muffin tin with liners.
2. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, sea salt and lemon zest.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, eggs, banana and maple syrup. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners and bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!
NUTRITION (1 muffin):
WANT MORE RECIPES: Check out my $7 meal plans HERE!