Simple, Healthy and Delicious Halloween Treats, Drinks and Meals!!
Does the thought of eating too much candy on Halloween have you spooked? I’ve got your back! Today I am sharing with you treats that you can feel good about eating (and feeding your family & friends), a fun dinner meal and even a healthy adult beverage to round off the night! Hey, Halloween is on a Saturday this year and we could all benefit from letting our hair down a little, right?!
Inside Out Almond Joys
Vegan Caramel Apple Dippers
Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
Purple People Eater Cocktails
PB Rice Krispies
Chocolate Rice Krispies
I want to see your creations! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook @carmenohling.com!
Be to check out Fitness & Healthy Fridays on Fox21 News, which is sponsored by Blitz45 for more recipes, tips, tools and resources to be healthy and happy in your everyday life!!
Plus, if you’re looking for a challenge, ready to try something new or just need a restart I invite you to join me and 100’s of other women for the Let Me Reintroduce Myself 60 Day Challenge that starts on 11.2.2020!!
Five Simple Healthy Recipes You Can Make At Home!
Here’s the thing, so many of you think that eating healthy is expensive- and I agree, it can be if you are relying solely on the store to do all of the work! This week I am bringing you 5 recipes (including how-to videos) for simple and healthy recipes that you can make at home to save a ton of money. Also, by making these recipes at home for items you’d normally buy at the store, you control the ingredients. When you control the ingredients of your food, it makes it so much easier to be healthy, lose weight and actually enjoy the food you’re eating. Each of these recipes are gluten free, dairy free, soy free and refined sugar free. But hey, you’d never know because they are so delicious!!
Protein Powder: Tone it Up (Plant Based Protein)
Chia Seeds: Bob’s Redmill
Cacao Chips: Pascha Chocolate Chips
Below are the recipes and be sure to check out the videos too for my tips!!
Day #1: Pickled Red Onions
12 Servings, 2TB
· 2 Medium Red Onion (medium-large, thinly sliced or spiralized)
· 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
· 1 tsp Chili Powder (optional, sub garlic powder)
· 1/4 cup Water
· 1 tsp Stevia Powder
· 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Thinly slice the onions, leaving them in rings. Carefully place the rings into a pint size mason jar and sprinkle with the salt and other seasonings.
- Pour the vinegar and water over the rings to fill the jar and put the lid on. Leave at room temperature for two hours so flavors can meld.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for up to two weeks (though ours are usually gone in a couple of days!).
Day #2: Cashew Milk
4 Servings, 1 Cup
2g protein, 3g carbs, 4g fat
- 1 cup Cashews (soaked, drained and rinsed)
- 4 cups Water
- 2 TB Pitted Dates
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt (optional)
- Soak cashews overnight, or for 12 hours, in water with 1/2 tsp sea salt.
- Drain the soaking water and rinse the cashews well. Do not keep this water to re-use as it contains phytic acid and is best to discard it.
- In high-speed blender combine cashews and pure water along with vanilla, sweeteners, or any other optional ingredients. See the notes for some flavor suggestions.
- Blend 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Mixture will expand some, so make sure your blender is not full before starting it.
- Strain mixture into a large bowl through a sprout bag, cheesecloth, or thin kitchen towel.
- Pour into glass jar or pitcher and store in refrigerator for up to four days.
Day #3: Cashew Butter
16 Servings, 2 TB Each
5g protein, 11g carbs, 16g fat
- 4 cups Cashews (raw)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F and place raw cashews on a medium-sized baking sheet. Spread evenly in one layer and toast for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cashews cool on pan for 10 minutes. Place slightly cooled cashews in bowl of food processor and cover with lid. Then, grind your cashews in a blender then transfer to food processor. This is not necessary, but I find that the cashew blend better that way.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then blend in food processor. After blending for 5 minutes, scrape the sides of the processor and mix, let the processor cool then begin blending again for another 5 minutes. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes unless you have a high powered food processor.
- Transfer cashew butter into jar with lid and store in fridge.
Day #4: Chocolate Protein Bars
5 Servings, 1 bar
15g protein, 33g carbs, 16g fat
- 1 cup Pitted Dates
- 1/2 cup All-Natural Peanut Butter (sub cashew or almond butter)
- 2 TB Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt (if peanut butter is salted, leave this out)
- 1 TB Of Water (if needed)
- 2 TB Organic Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Protein Powder (sub collagen powder)
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Add dates, nut butter, protein powder, cocoa powder and sea salt into the base of your food processor. Process until everything is combined and peanuts are broken down into tiny bits.
- At this point the mixture might be sticking together well and forming a ball of dough. If so, great! If not, it may be dry and not really sticking together (it will depend on how moist your dates were). If this is the case you’ll want to add a little water. Add 1 Tablespoon, run the food processor and see if the mixture starts holding together. If not, add another tablespoon and blend again. You’ll likely only need to add 1-3 Tablespoons of water.
- Once the mixture is holding together, transfer into the loaf pan lined with parchment. Fold the parchment over top and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Once even, add chocolate chunks and press those into the top of the mixture as well.
- Place the mixture in the freezer for 1 hour to harder up before removing from pan and cutting into 5 bars or 15 squares. A serving would be one bar or 3 squares.
- Store bars in fridge for up to 1 week or wrapped up in the freezer for 2 months. Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
Day #5: BBQ Sauce
16 Servings, ¼ cup
1g protein, 9g carbs, 0g fat
· 3 cups Water
· 3/4 cup Tomato Paste
· 2 TB Stevia Powder (sub monkfruit)
· 1/4 cup Honey
· 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
· 1 tbsp Liquid Smoke
· 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
· 2 tspSea Salt
· 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
· 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
· 1 tsp Black Pepper
· 1 tsp Onion Powder
· 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Dump all ingredients into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in a tightly-sealed container.
Enjoy making these delicious recipes at home and be sure to check back often to my blog for more!
Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Feel Amazing!
MAKE AHEAD HEALTHY SNACK BAR RECIPE
Tired of relying on snack bars full of crappy ingredients, sugar and artificial shit that you can’t even pronounce? I’ve got your back! Try out this blender bar recipe this week! These bars are super quick to make and you can store them in the freezer for when that sweet tooth hits. All you have to do is pop everything into the blender, form in the pan, bake for 20 minutes, cool & cut, then store in the freezer. This recipe is also gluten, dairy and soy free but packed with flavor and nutrition!! Grab the recipe by clicking below.
Want more recipes like this each week? Stay tuned because I am working on something special for you to be released at the end of July!!
Nutrition Per Bar
Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Have Endless Energy!
If you’re like me, I love the 4th of July, the time together with family and friends and all of the delicious foods that go with it! This year we are making Mediterranean skewers, grilled fruit, creamy artichoke salad, brussels sprout and beet salad and super yummy zucchini bread cookies!!
I love using fresh ingredients that are in abundance this time of year, like zucchini! I also love grilling EVERYTHING, it’s so simple do without having to sacrifice any flavor or nutrition!!
You can say hello to these recipes, a shopping list and the nutritional information by clicking the link below!
Grab Your Recipes Here!
Enjoy the holiday!
THE 5 FOODS YOU NEED TO KNOW AND TRY!!
#1 Butternut Squash: Watch!
#2 Cage Free Organic Eggs: Watch!
#3 Almond Butter: Watch!
#4 Bok Choy: Watch!
#5 Unsweetened Coconut: Watch!
CLICK HERE FOR RECIPES USING THESE DELICIOUS INGREDIENTS!!
WANT MORE LIKE THIS? TRY MY $7 MEAL PLANS!
WHY COFFEE SHOP MUFFINS ARE MAKING YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT
The average blueberry muffin is a far cry from what you’d call a health food! It’s got almost 470 calories (to be clear, that’s nearly double what you’d get from a chocolate frosted donut) and most of those calories come from processed carbohydrates- primarily white flour and refined sugar. These two staple ingredients in the average American’s diet, along with processed vegetable oil, are one of the main reasons that many women today are gaining weight, having low energy daily, and finding that their hormones are way out of balance.
So, what can you do? The answer is simple, cook more of your meals and snacks at home! So why not make some muffins at home and take them with you. I know what you’re saying right now- that you don’t have the time…. but if you don’t make the time for YOU and YOUR health NOW you will continue to have low energy, gain fat and feel like shit daily. THE TIME IS NOW!
Here’s a fun, simple and delicious recipe for you to try. It is also gluten free dairy free, soy free and paleo. You can even make these in advance and store them in the freezer for up to two months or in the fridge for 5 days!
Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)
• 2 cups Almond Flour
• 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
• 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
• 3 Egg
• 1 Banana (1/2 cup, mashed)
• 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
• 1 cup Blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (177ºC). Line a muffin tin with liners.
2. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, sea salt and lemon zest.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, eggs, banana and maple syrup. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners and bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!
NUTRITION (1 muffin):
WANT MORE RECIPES: Check out my $7 meal plans HERE!