Love matcha, ya me too… What I don’t love is all the sugar that traditional coffee shops put in their matcha! So today I am sharing with you an easy way to enjoy matcha, plus it has almost 20 grams of protein in each smoothie. This could be a great way to start your day, to drink after a workout, or simply a healthy treat at the end of your day.
Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Feel Amazing.
Looking for more healthy recipes? Check out my blog!
Are you looking for a quick, easy and healthy back to school treat for your kid’s lunchbox? Well look no further! This treat is super simple to make and you can store the cut bars in the freezer for up to two months. This recipe is also gluten, dairy and soy free- plus you can make it nut free by swapping out the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter. Here’s the details:
CHOCOLATE-PB CRUNCH BARS
3 cups QUINOA FLAKES (I use Ancient Harvest brand)
1 1/2 cup CHOCOLATE CHIPS, DAIRY FREE (I use Enjoy Life brand)
1 cup PEANUT BUTTER (I use Wild Friends brand)
1/2 cup MAPLE SYRUP
1/4 cup COCONUT OIL
- Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, syrup and oil, stirring until creamy and combined.
- In a large bowl, dump in the quinoa flakes and pour over the chocolate mixture. Mix well to fully combine.
- Spread evenly and push down flat into a 9×13 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Put in the freezer for 1 hour prior to cutting into 24 equal squares.
Servings: 24 | Nutrition for each bar: 5g protein, 25g carbs, 13g fat, 3g fiber
Enjoy! | Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Feel Amazing.
Looking for more healthy recipes to keep you and your family healthy this school year? Check out my blog!
HEALTHY HOLIDAY RECIPES YOUR FAMILY WILL LOVE
This time of year can be challenging to stay consistent with eating a healthy, real food based diet. However, with a little planning, a few simple ingredient swaps you can make it happen. I’ve listed my top tips to stay healthy this holiday season and a few recipes that I am sure will quickly become a family tradition!
8 TIPS FOR HEALTHY HOLIDAYS:
- Start your day with a workout. Working out first thing in the morning not only will make you feel great but set a healthy intention for the day too.
- Focus on people, not food. At the holidays, food is always in abundance, but people are too. Take the time to focus on building relationships with others instead of just stuffing your face.
- Don’t skip meals and arrive at a gathering starving. You will be less likely to make healthy food choices and more likely to overeat if you choose this route. Eat as you normally would during the day.
- Focus on being fed, instead of full. We all know that stuffed, overfull and super uncomfortable feeling- it pretty much sucks. Get out of the overeating and feeling like shit cycle. Eat enough to be satisfied but don’t overdo it, you’ll thank yourself later!
- Take a lap before filing your plate. Look at the options that are available and always start with a protein and lots of veggies first. Then choose two of the following four: carb/fat heavy dishes (think casseroles, pastas, cheesy potatoes, etc.), breads, desserts, or alcohol. By allowing yourself these treats you won’t feel deprived and less like to binge over a decadent dish.
- How do you know which two you should pick? Try this rule: if you can buy it tomorrow, then don’t have it today. This means if you are tempted by the Oreo’s, don’t be- you can buy those anytime. But if you just can’t pass up your grandma’s cheesy potatoes or your sister’s special pie that she only makes once a year- go for it. Of course, use portion control. You’d be surprised that you can be satisfied with only a small serving!
- Slow down when eating. It takes approximately 20 minutes for your body to signal the brain that you are satisfied and properly fed. Enjoy the meal with your loved ones, try putting your fork down between bites, having conversation and really chewing each bite (like until liquid!)
- Make new traditions, it’s not all about food! Play games (inside or out), try a family walk after a meal, sign up as a group for a local fun run/walk or have a healthy recipe cook off- the options are endless!
HEALTHY HOLIDAY RECIPES:
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUSAGE STUFFING (Servings: 8)
1 LARGE BUTTERNUT SQUASH, PEELED, SEEDED AND CUT INTO CUBES (6 CUPS)
1/2 tsp SEA SALT
1 Tbsp AVOCADO OIL
1 ONION, CHOPPED
5 CELERY STALKS, CHOPPED
1 lb CHICKEN SAUSAGE (I like to get spicy!)
1 APPLE, CHOPPED
1/2 tsp SEA SALT
1/2 tsp BLACK PEPPER
1/8 tsp CAYENNE PEPPER
1 1/2 Tbsp ITALIAN SEASONING
3/4 cup GOLDEN RAISINS
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425 DEGREES AND LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH FOIL. SPRAY WITH COOKING SPRAY.
- PEEL, CUT AND DESEED THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND PLACE IN A BOWL. ADD 1TB OF AVOCADO OIL AND 1 TSP SEA SALT AND MIX WELL.
- SPREAD ONTO THE BAKING SHEET IN AN EVEN LAYER AND BAKE FOR 30-40 MINUTES, TURNING ONCE TO GET BROWNED ON BOTH SIDES.
- WHILE THE SQUASH IS ROASTING, CHOP THE REST OF THE VEGGIES AND THE SAUSAGE INTO THE SAME SIZE CHUNKS.
- IN A LARGE PAN ON THE STOVE, ADD 1 TB OF THE OIL AND ADD CHOPPED ONION AND CELERY. STIR, AND COOK 3-4 MINUTES THEN ADD THE SAUSAGE. COOK UNTIL BROWNED AND THEN ADD THE APPLE, RAISINS AND THE REMAINING SEASONING. STIR AND COOK FOR 2 MINUTES.
- ONCE THE SQUASH IS ROASTED, MIX IT WITH THE VEGGIE-SAUSAGE MIXTURE AND THEN SPREAD EVENLY INTO A 13X9 PAN SPRAYED WITH COOKING SPRAY. BAKE FOR 35 MINUTES. ADD ADDITIONAL SEA SALT, PEPPER, AND ITALIAN SEASONING AS DESIRED FOR MORE FLAVOR. REMOVE, SERVE AND ENJOY!
Nutrition per Serving: 12g protein, 20g carbs, 5g fat, 3g fiber
BALSAMIC ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS (Servings: 8)
2 lbs BRUSSELS SPROUTS
SEA SALT AND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
1/2 cup BALSAMIC VINEGAR
4 DATES, CHOPPED
1/2 cup SLICED ALMONDS
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES AND LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH FOIL AND SPRAY WITH COOKING SPRAY.
- CUT THE ENDS OFF THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND SLICE IN HALF. PLACE ONTO BAKING SHEET AND SEASON WELL WITH SEA SALT AND BLACK PEPPER. SPRAY WITH A QUICK SPRAY OF COOKING SPRAY, TOSS AND THEN ENSURE THEY ARE ON A SINGLE LAYER ON THE BAKING SHEET.
- BAKE FOR 30-40 MINUTES, UNTIL THE EDGES ARE BROWNED AND CRISPY.
- CHOP DATES AND THEN REMOVE THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS FROM THE OVEN.
- ON THE STOVE, STIRRING OFTEN, BRING THE BALSAMIC VINEGAR TO A BOIL, THEN REDUCE AND SIMMER FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES. IT WILL THICKEN, BE SURE TO STIR OFTEN.
- WHEN READY TO EAT, TOP WITH THE DATES AND ALMONDS AND PLACE BACK IN A 400 DEGREE OVEN FOR 5 MINUTES.
- DRIZZLE WITH BALSAMIC REDUCTION, OR PUT ON SERVINGS INDIVIDUALLY.
Nutrition per Serving: 5g protein, 16g carbs, 5g fat, 4g fiber
RAW PECAN PIE BITES (Servings: 7)
12 DATES, PITTED AND SOAKED IF DRY
1 1/4 cup PECANS, CHOPPED
1/4 cup UNSWEETENED SHREDDED COCONUT
1/4 tsp SEA SALT
1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
1/4 tsp CINNAMON
1/4 tsp GROUND NUTMEG
1/4 tsp GROUND CLOVE
WATER (if needed, but blend lots first)
- DUMP THE PECANS INTO A HIGH SPEED BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR AND BLEND UNTIL ALMOST A POWDER, RESERVING 1/4 CUP. CHOP OF THE 1/4 CUP A BIT MORE AND SET ASIDE.
- ADD THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS, AND BLEND REALLY WELL (LONDER THAN YOU THINK!) ADD WATER 1 TB AT A TIME IF NEEDED.
- BLEND AGAIN, UNTIL THE MIXTURE COMES TOGETHER INTO A DOUGH LIKE FORM. YOU MAY NEED TO SCRAP DOWN THE SIDES AND BLEND A FEW TIMES.
- LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH PARCHMENT PAPER AND PRESS DOWN THE DOUGH INTO A RECTANGLE SHAPE, USING A GLASS TO SMOOTH THE TOP AND PRESS OUT TO ABOUT 1/2 INCH THICKNESS. TAKE THE RESERVED 1/4 CUP PECANS AND PRESS EVENLY INTO THE TOP OF THE DOUGH. POP INTO THE FREEZER FOR 30 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM FREEZER AND CUT INTO 21 EQUALLY SIZED BITES.
- STORE IN THE FREEZER FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS IN A TIGHTLY SEALED CONTAINER. A SERVING IS 3 BITES.
Nutrition per Serving: 3g protein, 14g carbs, 16g fat, 4g fiber
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE (Servings: 8)
1 1/2 lb GREEN BEANS
8 oz MUSHROOMS, CHOPPED
4 oz CHICKEN BACON, CHOPPED
1 YELLOW ONION, SLICED THIN
3 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
1/2 cup ALMOND FLOUR
1 1/2 cup UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK
3 tsp SEA SALT
2 tsp BLACK PEPPER
2 Tbsp AVOCADO OIL
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350 DEGREES AND LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH FOIL OR PARCHMENT PAPER. SPRAY WITH COOKING SPRAY. IN A LARGE CASSEROLE DISH, SPRAY IT WITH COOKING SPRAY AND SET ASIDE.
- THINLY SLICE A LARGE ONION AND PLACE ON THE BAKING SHEET, DRIZZLE WITH 1 TB OF AVOCADO OIL AND MIX AROUND, THEN SPREAD EVENLY ON PAN IN ONE LAYER. BAKE FOR 30, FLIPPING THE ONIONS EVERY 10 MINUTES. THEY ARE DONE WITH THEY ARE BROWNED AND CRISPY.
- WHILE THE ONIONS ARE COOKING, BOIL WATER IN A LARGE POT ON THE STOVE. CUT THE BEANS IN HALF AND ONCE THE WATER BOILS, ADD THE BEANS AND A PINCH OF SEA SALT. BOIL FOR 5 MINUTES, REMOVE AND PLACE BEANS IN A LARGE BOWL.
- IN A PAN, SPRAYED WITH COOKING SPRAY AND ADD THE CHOPPED BACON. ONCE IT’S COOKED SLIGHTLY, ADD THE MINCED GARLIC AND STIR. COOK 2-3 MINUTES, THEN ADD THE MUSHROOMS AND STIR.
- IN A POT ON THE STOVE, ADD THE ALMOND MILK AND 1 TB OF AVOCADO OIL, HEAT ON MEDIUM LOW. WHISKING, ADD THE ALMOND FLOUR UNTIL COMBINED AND BRING TO A BOIL, THEN REDUCE TO A SIMMER. ADD SEA SALT AND BLACK PEPPER, WHISKING OCCASIONALLY UNTIL THICKENED.
- ONCE THE MILK MIXTURE IS THICKENED, ADD THE BACON/MUSHROOM MIXTURE AND STIR. THEN POUR THE ENTIRE MIXTURE OVER THE BEANS AND STIR.
- DUMP THE ENTIRE MIXTURE INTO THE PREPARED CASSEROLE DISH AND COVER WITH FOIL. BAKE FOR 15 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND REMOVE THE FOIL, THEN TOP WITH THE ONIONS.
- BAKE FOR ANOTHER 5 MINUTES UNCOVERED. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND SERVE!
Nutrition per Serving: 7g protein, 13g carbs, 6g fat, 4g fiber
THE BEST BREAD EVER (GLUTEN FREE!) (Servings: 7)
2 cups BUCKWHEAT GROATS
1/4 cup PUMPKIN SEEDS
1 tsp BAKING POWDER
1/2 tsp BAKING SODA
1 tsp SEA SALT
1 cup SWEET POTATO, GRATED
1/2 SMALL ONION, FINELY DICED
1 Tbsp COCONUT OIL, MELTED
1 tsp FRESH GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 tsp ROSEMARY
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 DEGREES AND SPRAY A LOAF PAN WITH COOKING SPRAY.
- RINSE AND DRAIN THE GROATS, MIGHT GET A LITTLE STICKY AND PLACE IN HIGH SPEED BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR.
- ADD THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS, EXCEPT THE PUMPKIN SEEDS. BLEND UNTIL A THICK DOUGH FORMS.
- TRANSFER TO A BOWL AND MIX IN SEEDS, THEN SPREAD MIXTURE INTO THE LOAF PAN AND BAKE FOR 50-60 MINUTES OR UNTIL A TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN.
- CUT INTO 7 EQUAL SLICES. STORE IN THE FRIDGE.
Nutrition per Serving: 6g protein, 18g carbs, 6g fat, 4g fiber
PUMPKIN PIE BARS (Servings: 24)
3 cups WALNUTS
2 cups DATES
2/3 cup UNSWEETENED COCONUT
2 Tbsp MAPLE SYRUP
1 tsp CINNAMON
dash SEA SALT
2 cups PUMPKIN PUREE
2 EGG YOLKS
3 Tbsp COCONUT OIL, MELTED
1/4 cup MAPLE SYRUP
2 teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
1 cup COCONUT FLOUR
1 1/2 Tbsp CINNAMON
2 tsp PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
dash SEA SALT
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350 DEGREES AND LINE A 13X9 PAN WITH PARCHMENT PAPER.
- DUMP THE CRUST LAYER INGREDIENTS INTO THE FOOD PROCESSOR AND BLEND UNTIL YOU GET A PASTE. IF NEEDED ADD 1 TB OF WATER AT A TIME AND RE-BLEND VERY WELL.
- SPREAD THE CRUST LAYER EVENLY INTO THE PAN.
- IN A LARGE BOWL, MIX THE PUMPKIN, EGGS, YOLKS, OIL AND VANILLA UNTIL COMBINED THEN ADD THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS AND MIX WELL.
- SPREAD THE PUMPKIN MIXTURE ONTO THE CRUST LAYER IN ONE EVEN LAYER.
- BAKE FOR 30-35 MINUTES OR UNTIL THE CENTER IS SET AND THE EDGES ARE BROWNED A LITTLE.
- REMOVE FROM OVEN, ALLOW TO COOL THEN CUT INTO 24 BARS OR INTO 48 SMALL “BITES.”
- STORE IN THE FRIDGE FOR A FEW DAYS OR THE FREEZER FOR UP TO A MONTH.
Nutrition per Serving: 4g protein, 22g carbs, 14g fat, 5g fiber
MEAL PREP MONDAY
Thank you for joining me for Monday’s Meal Prep on Facebook and IG!
Below are the recipes that I used this week for our meal prep. Be sure to check out the nutritional information for each recipe and adjust accordingly. Some of the recipes I make for myself and others for my hubby- he eats differently than I do most of the time. Please reach out to me if you have any questions and I can’t wait to see you in a few weeks for the next Monday’s Meal Prep!
Here is the link to the video for this Monday (look for video posted 10.17.2017):
Are you stressed by thinking about what to make or confused on what to make each week?
Join the 28-Day Clean Eating Program (and our healthy tribe of amazing peeps) If you want an amazing menu, shopping list and nutritional information to follow each week- It’s only $38 for the entire month! You can check it out here: https://carmenohling.com/shop/
THIS WEEK’S RECIPES:
CROCKPOT VANILLA-MAPLE OATS (Servings: 7)
1 1/2 cup STEEL CUT OATS
6 cups UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK
1/2 cup PURE MAPLE SYRUP
2 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
2 tsp CINNAMON
1/4 tsp SEA SALT
1. DUMP ALL INGREDIENTS INTO THE CROCKPOT AND MIX WELL. COOK ON HIGH FOR 4 HOURS OR ON LOW FOR 8 HOURS.
2. WHEN COOKED, STIR WELL AND DIVIDE INTO 7 EQUAL SERVINGS. STORE IN THE FRIDGE.
Nutrition per serving: 7g protein, 41g carbs, 4.5g fat, 5g fiber
TURKEY LASAGNA ROLL-UPS (Servings: 7)
1 lb 99% LEAN GROUND TURKEY
14 WHOLE WHEAT LASAGNA NOODLES
2 cups LOW FAT COTTAGE CHEESE
2 cups FROZEN SPINACH
2 cups LOW FAT MOZZARELLA CHEESE
1 tsp GARLIC POWDER
1/2 tsp SEA SALT
1 tsp ITALIAN SEASONING
1 SPAGHETTI SAUCE
1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES. SPRAY A 9X13 BAKING DISH WITH COOKING SPRAY.
2. BOIL WATER TO COOK NOODLES AND START BROWNING THE GROUND TURKEY IN A SKILLET.
3. BLEND UP THE COTTAGE CHEESE IN A BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL SMOOTH.
4. ONCE THE TURKEY IS COOKED, PUT IT IN A LARGE BOWL AND ALLOW TO COOL SLIGHTLY.
5. ADD THE COTTAGE CHEESE, SPINACH (THAWED, AND WATER SQUEEZED OUT), 1/2 CUP CHEESE, AND SPICES.
6. WHEN THE NOODLES ARE COOKED, DRAIN AND LAY FLAT ON A KITCHEN TOWEL.
7. SPREAD 1 CUP OF THE SPAGHETTI SAUCE DOWN IN THE 9X13 BAKING DISH.
8. TAKE A LASAGNA NOODLE AND SPREAD 1/14 OF THE MEAT MIXTURE ON THE NOODLE, THEN ROLL UP AND PLACE IN THE BAKING DISH SEAM SIDE DOWN. CONTINUE WITH THE REMAINING NOODLES UNTIL 14 ARE ROLLED UP.
9. TOP THE ROLL UPS WITH THE REMAINING SAUCE AND CHEESE, THEN COVER WITH FOIL.
10. BAKE FOR 30 MINUTES, UNCOVER AND BAKE FOR AN ADDITIONAL 10 MINUTES TO MELT CHEESE.
11. A SERVING IS 2 ROLL UPS!
Nutrition per serving: 46g protein, 51g carbs, 11g fat, 9g fiber
Note: You could get fat free cheese and cut the fat in half if desired.
PB CHOCOLATE RICE TREATS (Servings: 12)
3 1/2 cup PUFFED RICE CEREAL (No added sugar!)
1 1/2 cup STEVIA SWEETENED CHOCOLATE (I used Lilly’s)
1 cup PEANUT BUTTER
1/2 cup COCONUT NECTAR
1. IN A LARGE BOWL (USING MICROWAVE) OR A LARGE POT ON THE STOVE, MELT THE CHOCOLATE, PB, COCONUT NECTAR AND OIL.
2. MIX TO COMBINE, THEN ADD THE RICE CEREAL. MIX.
3. POUR INTO A PAN LINED WITH PARCHMENT PAPER AND POP INTO THE FREEZER FOR 1 HOUR.
4. REMOVE FROM FREEZER AND CUT INTO 12 BARS. STORE IN THE FRIDGE.
Nutrition per serving: 6g protein, 25g carbs, 14g fat, 4g fiber
Brands I products I use often and recommended in the video:
Bob’s Redmill: https://www.bobsredmill.com/
Icon Meals: https://athlete.iconmeals.com/1429.html
Note: Use code “eatmovelive” at Icon Meals to save 10%!
West Coast Strength Apparel: https://www.facebook.com/wcstrength/
EAT REAL FOOD. BE HEALTHY. FEEL AMAZING!
Do you love lemon and blueberries? You gotta try this healthy, yummy and simple recipe! It’s great for both weekly meal prep and to take to your next end of summer gathering.
LEMON BLUEBERRY BARS (Servings: 9)
1 1/2 cup ALMOND FLOUR
1 1/2 cup OAT FLOUR
1 cup OATMEAL
2 Tbsp UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK (OR CASHEW OR FLAXSEED)
1/4 cup COCONUT OIL, MELTED
1/4 cup COCONUT NECTAR (OR PURE MAPLE SYRUP)
1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
1/8 tsp SEA SALT
3 cups BLUEBERRIES
1/2 cup WATER
1/4 cup LEMON JUICE + ZEST OF ENTIRE LEMON
1/4 cup COCONUT NECTAR (OR PURE MAPLE SYRUP)
2 Tbsp ARROWROOT FLOUR (SUB TAPIOCA FLOUR OR POTATO STARCH)
dash SEA SALT
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES AND SPRAY AN 8X8 PAN WITH COOKING SPRAY.
- IN A BOWL, MIX THE ALMOND FLOUR, OAT FLOUR, OATMEAL, MILK, COCONUT OIL, 1/4 CUP COCONUT NECTAR, VANILLA EXTRACT AND SEA SALT.
- ONCE MIXED, SPREAD 2/3 OF THE MIXTURE INTO THE PAN AND PRESS DOWN EVENLY. BAKE THIS CRUST FOR 10 MINUTES.
- IN A SAUCE PAN ON THE STOVE, ADD ALL OF THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS, BRING TO A BOIL AND STIR OFTEN. REDUCE TO A SIMMER AND SIMMER FOR 10 MINUTES.
- THE BERRY SAUCE WILL THICKEN A BIT, ONCE IT DOES POUR IT OVER THE CRUST. CRUMBLE THE REMAINING 1/3 OF THE CRUST MIXTURE OVER THE TOP.
- BAKE FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES AND REMOVE FROM THE OVEN AND ALLOW TO COOL.
- PLACE THE BARS INTO THE OVEN FOR 3-4 HOURS TO SET, THEN SLICE INTO 9 BARS.
Want more recipes like this one? Join the September 28-Day Clean Eating Program and get recipes like this each week!
Check it out here: https://carmenohling.com/product/28-day-clean-eating-program-for-women-september-2017/
Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Feel Amazing!