by Carmen Ohling | Jul 27, 2019 | Clean Eating, Eat., Food Prep, Recipes
Five Simple Healthy Recipes You Can Make At Home!
Here’s the thing, so many of you think that eating healthy is expensive- and I agree, it can be if you are relying solely on the store to do all of the work! This week I am bringing you 5 recipes (including how-to videos) for simple and healthy recipes that you can make at home to save a ton of money. Also, by making these recipes at home for items you’d normally buy at the store, you control the ingredients. When you control the ingredients of your food, it makes it so much easier to be healthy, lose weight and actually enjoy the food you’re eating. Each of these recipes are gluten free, dairy free, soy free and refined sugar free. But hey, you’d never know because they are so delicious!!
Protein Powder: Tone it Up (Plant Based Protein)
Chia Seeds: Bob’s Redmill
Cacao Chips: Pascha Chocolate Chips
Below are the recipes and be sure to check out the videos too for my tips!!
Day #1: Pickled Red Onions
12 Servings, 2TB
· 2 Medium Red Onion (medium-large, thinly sliced or spiralized)
· 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
· 1 tsp Chili Powder (optional, sub garlic powder)
· 1/4 cup Water
· 1 tsp Stevia Powder
· 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Thinly slice the onions, leaving them in rings. Carefully place the rings into a pint size mason jar and sprinkle with the salt and other seasonings.
- Pour the vinegar and water over the rings to fill the jar and put the lid on. Leave at room temperature for two hours so flavors can meld.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for up to two weeks (though ours are usually gone in a couple of days!).
Day #2: Cashew Milk
4 Servings, 1 Cup
2g protein, 3g carbs, 4g fat
- 1 cup Cashews (soaked, drained and rinsed)
- 4 cups Water
- 2 TB Pitted Dates
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt (optional)
- Soak cashews overnight, or for 12 hours, in water with 1/2 tsp sea salt.
- Drain the soaking water and rinse the cashews well. Do not keep this water to re-use as it contains phytic acid and is best to discard it.
- In high-speed blender combine cashews and pure water along with vanilla, sweeteners, or any other optional ingredients. See the notes for some flavor suggestions.
- Blend 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Mixture will expand some, so make sure your blender is not full before starting it.
- Strain mixture into a large bowl through a sprout bag, cheesecloth, or thin kitchen towel.
- Pour into glass jar or pitcher and store in refrigerator for up to four days.
Day #3: Cashew Butter
16 Servings, 2 TB Each
5g protein, 11g carbs, 16g fat
- 4 cups Cashews (raw)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F and place raw cashews on a medium-sized baking sheet. Spread evenly in one layer and toast for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cashews cool on pan for 10 minutes. Place slightly cooled cashews in bowl of food processor and cover with lid. Then, grind your cashews in a blender then transfer to food processor. This is not necessary, but I find that the cashew blend better that way.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then blend in food processor. After blending for 5 minutes, scrape the sides of the processor and mix, let the processor cool then begin blending again for another 5 minutes. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes unless you have a high powered food processor.
- Transfer cashew butter into jar with lid and store in fridge.
Day #4: Chocolate Protein Bars
5 Servings, 1 bar
15g protein, 33g carbs, 16g fat
- 1 cup Pitted Dates
- 1/2 cup All-Natural Peanut Butter (sub cashew or almond butter)
- 2 TB Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt (if peanut butter is salted, leave this out)
- 1 TB Of Water (if needed)
- 2 TB Organic Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Protein Powder (sub collagen powder)
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Add dates, nut butter, protein powder, cocoa powder and sea salt into the base of your food processor. Process until everything is combined and peanuts are broken down into tiny bits.
- At this point the mixture might be sticking together well and forming a ball of dough. If so, great! If not, it may be dry and not really sticking together (it will depend on how moist your dates were). If this is the case you’ll want to add a little water. Add 1 Tablespoon, run the food processor and see if the mixture starts holding together. If not, add another tablespoon and blend again. You’ll likely only need to add 1-3 Tablespoons of water.
- Once the mixture is holding together, transfer into the loaf pan lined with parchment. Fold the parchment over top and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Once even, add chocolate chunks and press those into the top of the mixture as well.
- Place the mixture in the freezer for 1 hour to harder up before removing from pan and cutting into 5 bars or 15 squares. A serving would be one bar or 3 squares.
- Store bars in fridge for up to 1 week or wrapped up in the freezer for 2 months. Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
Day #5: BBQ Sauce
16 Servings, ¼ cup
1g protein, 9g carbs, 0g fat
· 3 cups Water
· 3/4 cup Tomato Paste
· 2 TB Stevia Powder (sub monkfruit)
· 1/4 cup Honey
· 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
· 1 tbsp Liquid Smoke
· 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
· 2 tspSea Salt
· 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
· 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
· 1 tsp Black Pepper
· 1 tsp Onion Powder
· 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Dump all ingredients into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in a tightly-sealed container.
Enjoy making these delicious recipes at home and be sure to check back often to my blog for more!
Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Feel Amazing!
by Carmen Ohling | Dec 8, 2018 | Clean Eating, Eat., Recipes
When it comes to the holidays sugary foods are all around! Why not make a healthier version of one of your favorites- FUDGE! I am excited for you to try this 3 Ingredients “Healthier” Holiday Dessert Recipe!
This recipe is “Dad” approved and only requires 3 ingredients and minimal time. So what have you got to lose? Make it in advance and store it in the freezer until your ready to share it’s deliciousness!
1/2 cup Cashew Butter (Almond Butter work too)
1 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
dash Sea Salt (if your cashew butter is not salted)
1. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. In cycles in the microwave (stir between) melt the cashew butter and chocolate.
3. Remove from microwave when creamy and combine, then add the peppermint.
4. Pour into the loaf pan and smooth out evenly.
5. Pop into the freezer for 1 hour.
6. Slice into 16 equally sized squares.
Would you like more recipes like this? Check out my blog
by Carmen Ohling | Sep 13, 2018 | Recipes
Are you looking for a quick, easy and healthy back to school treat for your kid’s lunchbox? Well look no further! This treat is super simple to make and you can store the cut bars in the freezer for up to two months. This recipe is also gluten, dairy and soy free- plus you can make it nut free by swapping out the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter. Here’s the details:
CHOCOLATE-PB CRUNCH BARS
3 cups QUINOA FLAKES (I use Ancient Harvest brand)
1 1/2 cup CHOCOLATE CHIPS, DAIRY FREE (I use Enjoy Life brand)
1 cup PEANUT BUTTER (I use Wild Friends brand)
1/2 cup MAPLE SYRUP
1/4 cup COCONUT OIL
- Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, syrup and oil, stirring until creamy and combined.
- In a large bowl, dump in the quinoa flakes and pour over the chocolate mixture. Mix well to fully combine.
- Spread evenly and push down flat into a 9×13 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Put in the freezer for 1 hour prior to cutting into 24 equal squares.
Servings: 24 | Nutrition for each bar: 5g protein, 25g carbs, 13g fat, 3g fiber
Enjoy! | Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Feel Amazing.
Looking for more healthy recipes to keep you and your family healthy this school year? Check out my blog!
by Carmen Ohling | May 28, 2017 | Uncategorized
MEMORIAL DAY BBQ RECIPES
(THAT ARE HEALTHY, TASTE AMAZING & KEEP YOUR WAIST LINE IN CHECK!)
What is the best way to navigate a BBQ so you don’t have to eat shitty hotdogs and store bought mayo-laden macaroni and cheese? Make and bring nutritious, tasty options that you love and can share with others! Here are a couple recipes that you can try this Memorial Day Weekend. Feel free to double or triple the recipes, based on the size of your crew!
And since it is Memorial Day, don’t forget to say a prayer of thanks to those who have served and lost their lives for our Freedom and our Country. Did you know that in 2000, Congress established a National Moment of Remembrance, which asks Americans to pause for one minute at 3 p.m. in an act of national unity. The time was chosen because 3 p.m. “is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on the national holiday.”
QUINOA CUCUMBER TOMATO SALAD (Servings: 4)
1 cup QUINOA
2 cups LOW-SODIUM CHICKEN BROTH
1 bunch FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY, CHOPPED STEMS REMOVED
6 CUCUMBERS, PEELED AND DICED
4 MEDIUM TOMATOES, DICED
JUICE OF ONE LEMON
1 Tbsp AVOCADO OIL
2 tsp RICE VINEGAR
2 tsp STEVIA
SEA SALT AND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
- BOIL THE CHICKEN STOCK AND THEN COOK THE QUINOA FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS.
- DICE UP THE TOMATOES AND CUCUMBERS IN TO LIKE-SIZED PIECES AND CHOP UP PARSLEY.
- PLACE COOKED QUINOA INTO A LARGE BOWL AND ALLOW TO COOL.
- MIX ALL INGREDIENTS WITH QUINOA AND ADD LEMON JUICE, OIL, VINEGAR, AND STEVIA. MIX WELL.
- SERVE WARM OR COLD.
Nutrition: 12g protein, 44g carbs, 7g fat, 8g fiber
CHICKEN MUSHROOM BURGER (Servings: 1)
4 oz CHICKEN BREAST, GRILLED AND SLICED THIN (Season with sea salt and black pepper)
2 PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS
1 LETTUCE LEAF
2 TOMATO SLICES
3 Tbsp LOW FAT MOZZARELLA CHEESE
1 Tbsp BALSAMIC VINEGAR
SEA SALT AND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES, OR PREHEAT BBQ GRILL.
- WIPE DOWN MUSHROOM CAPS AND SEASON WITH SEA SALT AND BLACK PEPPER.
- LAY THEM FACE DOWN ON A BAKING SHEET OR FOIL (IF USING GRILL) AND PUT 1/2 TB ONTO EACH.
- BAKE FOR 8-10 MINUTES IN THE OVEN OR 4-6 MINUTES ON THE GRILL.
- SLICE CHICKEN, TOMATO, AND LETTUCE. ADD CHICKEN TO OVEN OR GRILL TO HEAT FOR A FEW MINUTES AND TOP WITH CHEESE TO MELT.
- ONCE MUSHROOMS ARE DONE AND CHICKEN IS HOT, MAKE A BURGER!
NOTE: To grill juicy chicken, soak in water and sea salt for 4 hours, then grill 10-12 mins per side
Nutrition: 42g protein, 16g carbs, 6g fat, 7g fiber
CHOCOLATE PEANUT CLUSTERS (Servings: 14)
1/2 Tbsp COCONUT OIL
3 oz STEVIA SWEETENED CHOCOLATE BAR
- LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH PARCHMENT PAPER.
- IN A POT ON THE STOVE, MELT THE COCONUT OIL AND CHOCOLATE. LOW AND SLOW, STIRRING OFTEN.
- ON THE BAKING SHEET MAKE 14 MOUNDS OF PEANUTS, ABOUT 6 PER MOUND.
- ONCE THE CHOCOLATE IT MELTED, USING A SPOON EVENLY DISTRIBUTE THE MELTED CHOCOLATE OVER THE PEANUT MOUNDS.
- THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE COVERED 100%. SPRINKLE WITH SEA SALT AND POP INTO THE FREEZER TO SET FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES.
- ONCE SET THEY ARE DONE AND READY TO DEVOUR!!!
Nutrition: 2g protein, 5g carbs, 5g fat, 2g fiber
I hope you enjoy these healthy Memorial Day Recipes. For more, check out my website at www.carmenohling.com.
Eat Real Food. Be Healthy. Feel Amazing.
by Carmen Ohling | Feb 5, 2017 | Uncategorized
Easy, Quick, Shareable Super Bowl Recipes
Raw, Vegan, Double Chocolate Bites (Servings: 16)
¼ cup cacao powder
¼ cup unsweetened dark chocolate powder
2 TB coconut nectar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup stevia sweetened chocolate chips (I use Libby’s Brand)
- Put the pecans into the food processor or high speed blender and blend .
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips and blend.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and press the dough into the pan evenly.
- Pop into the freezer for 1 hour and cut into 16 equal-sized bites.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Macros: 2.5g protein, 26g carbs, 9g fat
Nitrate-free bacon Wrapped Jalapenos (Servings: 8)
8 TB fat free cream cheese
8 slices nitrate-free bacon (I recommend Applegate Turkey Bacon or alfresco Chicken Bacon)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the jalapenos in half and scrap out the seeds and membranes.
- Fill ½ the jalapeno with 1 TB fat free cream cheese, the top with the other half.
- Wrap in 1 slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 mins, then broil on high for 2-5 minutes until crispy.
Macros: 9g protein, 5g carbs, 1g fat
Enjoy the game and each other!!!